The Corporate Technology Management department of a major U.S. company is expanding its current domestic infrastructure support to include their businesses in Japan. This new expansion of international support will span four technology platforms: Network (voice and data), Mainframe, Wintel, and UNIX. The successful incumbent will have experience in these towers/platforms and in addition, the ability to successfully transition into a lead engineering role in the future. Position is Technical Architect.
Location: Newark, NJ
Target Start Date: ASAP
Years of Experience: At least 5 years
Right to hire: Yes (within first 3 months)
Salary Range: Based on candidate’s experience
Candidates for this position must have experience in programming/development, deploying vendor software in a global environment and strong core skills in Unix and Windows OS. Programming language like C/C++ or a scripting language like perl or VBScript, should be able to write code in one of those languages but don't need to have developed a complete application.
This not a developer position, but for a portion of the work the candidate will have to update/test exiting code and scripts. Good project management skills and very good communication skills (English as well as Japanese).
The client is seeking a Technical Architect to join their Corporate Enterprise Systems Management team who can assist in the communication and translation with their Japanese staff. While a critical aspect of this position will be documentation and meeting translation and/or interpretation as needed, we are not looking for a "translator" so professional translation certifications are not required.
- B.S. in a technical field or equivalent experience
- Minimum two years system administration experience
- Solid knowledge of operating system internals, file system structures, and machine architectures on UNIX and Windows operating systems
- Experience with common system administration tools
- Working experience with scripting tools, C++, Perl, CGI, etc.
- Knowledge of relational databases, preferably Oracle
- Proven problem solving skills with an emphasis on quick problem resolution and the ability to work on many tasks simultaneously
- Basic LAN and WAN network knowledge
- Experience with web development technologies such as HTML, XML, XSL, Java
- Previous experience in a high availability, 24X7 environment
- Strong desire to learn and work with multiple applications, tools and technologies with minimal guidance and assistance
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Experience in organizing, writing and reviewing system documentation and operation procedures
- Work with the Japanese team to understand application environment and criticality levels including impact on infrastructure and vice versa (infrastructure change impact to applications)
- Help coordinate across 10-15 teams
- Experience working in both Japan and US
- Understanding of Data Center coordination and consolidation methodologies preferred
- Fluent in Japanese and English
- Travel to Japan will be required
Experience with the following tools is a plus:
- Tivoli TBSM, Tivoli availability monitoring (Candle/Micromuse based Tivoli product line)
- IBM Director
- HP Enterprise Discovery and Asset Center. HP Business Availability Center and SiteScope
- CA AutoSys
- CA Wily Customer Experience Manager
- Remedy ARS
- Websphere Portal Dashboard and Portlet Factory